Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Prayer

There is nothing more important for our individual relationship with our Father in Heaven than prayer. And the way to develop that relationship is through heartfelt, sincere prayer, not through rote, repetitious prayers.

At district meeting today, the zone leaders taught us that sincere prayer is key to conversion, not only that of our investigators but of ourselves as well. We cannot change without help from God. We have to communicate to Him our goals and our plans for achieving these goals, then asking for help from Him. We must humble ourselves and realize that we need His help, then get on our knees and sincerely ask for it.

Sometimes, it's hard to say prayers at 10:30 at night when you've been out walking in the rain and you're exhausted, or at 6:30 in the morning when you're still half asleep. But I know there is nothing more important for our relationship with God and for our happiness than sincere prayer, actually having a conversation with God, instead of sending Him a list of the things you're thankful for and the things you want. I challenge you to get on your knees and talk with your Heavenly Father. He will answer and respond to your prayers through the Holy Ghost; you will have thoughts arise in your minds or feelings in your hearts, not harsh and loud, but through a still, small voice; a gentle nudge in the right direction. Then take these directions and act on them! Do not harden your heart and ignore spiritual promptings, but instead act on them and do the best you can, ask God for strength to do these things, then go and do them; He will provide the way (1 Nephi 3:7).

I'm not saying I'm perfect at this, quite the opposite actually. I know I need to work hard on this and improve every day. This post is almost me telling myself what to do, but I encourage you to do these things as well. I know you will feel the difference and you will be able to meet the things the adversary will throw at you, and most importantly, you will be talking with your Heavenly Father, and He wants that so badly. Then take His loving directions to heart and follow them! You will see the difference. And I testify of these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment