Friday, September 16, 2011

Resisting Temptation

 And when the atempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bbread.
 But he answered and said, It is written, aMan shall not blive by cbread alone, but by every dword that proceedeth out of the emouth of God.
 aThen the devil taketh him up into the bholy city, and setteth him on a pinnacle of the temple,
 aAnd saith unto him, bIf thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.
 Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not atempt the Lord thy God.
 aAgain, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the bkingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;
 aAnd saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me.
 10 Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, aSatan: for it is written, Thou shalt bworship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.
 11 Then the devil leaveth him, aand, behold, bangels came and ministered unto him.

This story is one of my favorites. I know I couldn't fast for forty days, but if I could I bet I'd be pretty weak and open to temptation. The Savior gives us the ultimate way to resist temptation: quoting scripture. If Satan is trying to get you to do something, quote a scripture in your head or say it out loud. My favorite scripture to say when Satan is trying to tempt me is where I get the title of my blog: 2 Nephi 4:28. I encourage you to do the same thing and follow the Savior's example and tell Satan to go away.
Also, anyone want some good missionary reading, read Helaman 5. It's an incredible story of two brothers that preach the gospel together. 

-Elder Schnell

1 comment: