Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Strength

As I've been doing missionary work, I've learned something very important: You must rely on your Heavenly Father for strength, not yourself. I have the tendency to think that I can do everything by myself without help from anyone, and I've realized I can't be a successful missionary when I work by myself.

Alma 37:36-37 says,"Yea, and cry unto God for all thy support; yea, let all thy doing be unto the Lord, and whithersoever thou goest let it be in the Lord; yea let all thy thoughts be directed unto the Lord; yea, let the affections of thy heart be placed upon the Lord forever.
"Counsel with the Lord in all thy doings, and he will direct thee for good..."

This scripture is the guidebook for being a successful missionary. Obviously, there are prerequisites to have your prayers answered or to have meaningful communication with your Father in Heaven: obedience, faith, scripture study, keeping the commandments, etc., but if you obey and use these scriptures as a guide for how you pray, you will have more meaningful prayer and feel the strength Heavenly Father will give you through the Atonement of His Son.

If you do this, your thoughts and actions will be guided by the Spirit to find those people who need a friend, who need to hear the message of this gospel, or maybe even need help. I know if we all pray sincerely and ask to be instruments in His hands, it will be granted unto us and we will be happier as we do His work.

No comments:

Post a Comment